Thursday, June 26, 2014

One Special Friend

One Special Friend


I have a friend who's name I won't reveal. He was born a little different, but that's not a big deal. He has a talent for music and art. He's so funny and kind at heart. Since this rhyme is getting a big lame, I'm going to tell you my story of my one special friend.


Colin is a 10 year old boy who happens to be one of my brothers best friends. He was born with Down Syndrome. With down syndrome, Colin often questions himself and why he can't do the things his friends and brother can do. Last summer, Colin's parents sent him to a 2 week camp where there were kids just like him. When he got him, he was telling the story of how he had so much fun 
and he had made so many friends. I have seen many instances where kids have been just tossed because of this disorder. It hurts me to see how kids like my friend aren't treated the same way. I hope one day that kids with Down Syndrome will be treated like any other kid. I think most people treat children with Down Syndrome too nicely is because they believe that down syndrome is an down set. When it shouldn’t be considered that way, each person is made equal and we shouldn’t treat anyone better or worse based on how they look and how they act. We each were born the way we are to strive for the best we can. I think school is hard for children with down syndrome because at a young age, kids are curious and they wonder and ask about why others aren’t the same as them. They wonder why they can’t do the same things they can, or why they are limited  to different actives. As the person gets older, they begin to realize they are different and special. Colin is going into middle school this year, he is always asking why he can’t do some things that his brother can. There are many cases in which people with down syndrome are overlooked and seen as “handicapped”, when in reality they are as fully capable as any other person. Once everyone notices that everyone is equal, there will be less people overlooked and given more chances to become the best they can be.
http://www.sandiegodownsyndrome.org/Main

No comments:

Post a Comment